Emotiva BASX A800 - Multichannel Amplifier
This product is currently sold out.
The goal of putting together an exceptional audio system is to enrich your life with outstanding sound. It’s all about playing the music. It isn’t about spending a lot of money, or solid gold knobs or jewel encrusted remote controls. And you don’t need all sorts of complicated features you’re never going to use. The key to building a great audio system is to use well-designed components with excellent technical performance and superb sound quality. Every Emotiva BasX component has been designed from the ground up to be part of an excellent audio system. They incorporate the latest cutting edge technology and all the features you need to give you the best possible listening experience.
As a leading manufacturer of home audio equipment, we’ve noticed that a lot of people still don’t have high-quality audio in their lives. Some folks don’t have the budget to buy good equipment, while others don’t have the time to spend trying to figure out how to use it – and that’s exactly why we developed our new Emotiva BasX products. Our BasX components combine great sound quality, a carefully chosen set of genuinely useful features, and rock solid performance, with a simple yet elegant design.
This unique combination allows us to offer a combination you just can’t find anywhere else – great sound and great value. All of the components in our new BasX line are priced to be within reach of every music lover. You don’t need to be rich to afford them, and you don’t need to be an engineer to figure out how to use them. They’re carefully crafted to give you many years of reliable and trouble-free service, and they’ll look great in your living room or on your audio rack.
You can build a complete music system out of our BasX components that will give you a true audiophile listening experience. Or try adding one or two BasX components to round out your existing audio system. Great sounding audio doesn’t have to be expensive or complicated.
The BasX A-800 offers all the essential features that make a great audio component. The circuitry in the BasX A-800 features a heavy duty linear power supply, great sounding high-current short signal path Class A/B amplifiers, a trigger input and output, and industry standard unbalanced audio inputs. It also includes audiophile-quality fault protection that’s completely transparent in normal operation, yet protects the A-800 and your other equipment from common fault conditions.
The BasX A-800 delivers real audiophile sound quality – and we’ve got the specs to back that up: 50 watts RMS per channel at less than 0.03% THD into 8 ohms (two channels driven); THD+N of less than 0.05%; and a signal to noise ratio of 110 dB referenced to full power.
While the BasX A-800 offers lots of performance, you won’t need a Ph.D. to install and use it. Just plug the BasX A-800 into any standard 115 VAC or 230 VAC line; it will figure out the correct voltage to use. A removable heavy-duty power cable is included, and, if you want to experiment with power cords, the BasX A-800 also accepts any industry standard IEC power cable. The speaker outputs are heavy duty five-way insulated binding posts that work equally well with bare wire, banana plugs, or spade lugs.
The BasX A-800 is built to last, with a heavy duty steel chassis, solid milled aluminum faceplate, and high-quality parts and construction throughout… We expect you to enjoy your BasX A-800 for a long time – and we back that up with a full three-year warranty.
The BasX A-800 provides eight separate channels of amplification, which can be used as eight separate channels, or as four stereo pairs, or as four bridged channels, each capable of delivering higher power. A pair of stereo bus inputs can be used to send the same source signal to each pair of channels, or each channel can be fed with its own individual input signal. Flexible triggering options allow the BasX A-800 to be turned on manually, or by a trigger signal from your processor or preamp, or configured to turn on automatically when it senses an audio input. The BasX A-800 is perfect for running multiple pairs of speakers in different locations or rooms, and can provide plenty of great sounding power to run up to four separate pairs of in-ceiling or in-wall speakers in up to four different zones.
Optimum flexibility. Exceptional sound quality. Excellent value.
- True audiophile-quality sound - as with all of our amplifiers, the BasX A-800 was designed first and foremost to sound superb in all types of audio systems.
- Great sounding Class A/B output stage - ensures smooth detailed sound and incredibly natural imaging - without a trace of harshness or strain.
- Heavy duty linear power supply - with an oversized toroidal power transformer and plenty of current capacity to drive even difficult speakers.
- Eight fully independent amplifier channels - each speaker output is powered by its own separate amplifier channel.
- Bridgeable outputs - each pair of amplifier channels can be independently configured to act as two separate channels, or bridged into a single higher-powered channel.
- Flexible input options - allow each pair of channels on the BasX A-800 to receive its input signal from its own independent input, or from the stereo bus input.
- Automatic power switching - lets you configure the BasX A-800 for manual operation, or to be turned on by a trigger input, or when it senses an audio signal on any of its inputs.
- Top quality parts and construction throughout - promise years of reliable service.
- Totally stable - designed for use in the real world, with real speakers.
- Heavy steel 2RU chassis with milled aluminum face plate - provide strength and rugged good looks.
- Heavy duty insulated five-way speaker binding posts - allow you to use a wide range of speaker cables with bare wires, lugs, or banana plugs.
- Audiophile-grade fault protection - entirely transparent under normal conditions, yet protects the amp and your other equipment from all common fault conditions.
- Universal AC line voltage operation - the BasX A-800 is designed to operate on either 115 VAC or 230 VAC at 50/60 Hz, and automatically detects the correct line voltage.
- Standard IEC power inlet - fits all standard and audiophile IEC power cables.
- Full three year warranty - ensures that you’ll be able to enjoy your BASX power amp for years to come.
The BasX A-800 is an eight channel power amplifier, specifically designed for use in multi-zone and whole home applications. The BasX A-800 has eight individual amplifier channels, each of which features a carefully designed high current, short signal path, Class A/B output stage, with advanced microprocessor-controlled monitoring and protection circuitry. The eight amplifier channels in the A-800 are arranged to provide the absolute maximum in terms of flexibility: each channel may be used separately, or as part of a stereo pair; each stereo pair may be supplied with its own input signal, or receive its signal from a common stereo input bus; and each pair of channels may optionally be bridged into a single channel with higher power (for a total of four bridged high-powered channels). In addition, the BasX A-800 may be configured to be turned on manually, or by a trigger signal from a preamp or processor, or to turn on automatically when it senses an audio signal on any of its inputs.
Power Output (two channels driven)
50 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz - 20 kHz; THD < 0.03%; into 8 Ohms.
80 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz - 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 4 Ohms.
Power Output (8 channels; all channels driven)
35 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 0.03%; into 8 Ohms.
50 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 4 Ohms.
Power Output; BRIDGED MODE (4 channels; all channels driven)
100 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz - 20 kHz; THD < 0.03%; into 8 Ohms.
Broad Band Frequency Response
Individual channel mode: 20 Hz to 80 kHz (+ / - 1.8 dB).
Bridged mode: 20 Hz to 80 kHz (+ / - 3 dB).
THD + noise
< 0.05% (A-weighted); at rated power; 1 kHz; 8 Ohms
Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load)
> 110 dB (A-weighted); ref rated power.
> 95 dB (A-weighted); ref 1 watt.
Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (per channel)
Individual channel mode: 4 Ohms; which equals one 4 Ohm load or two paralleled 8 Ohm loads.
Bridged mode: 8 Ohms.
Damping Factor (8 Ohm load)
Speaker Output Connections
Audiophile grade, 5-way binding posts.
Linear power supply with heavy duty torodial transformer.
Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8Ohm load)
Individual channel mode: 29 dB.
Bridged mode: 35 dB.
Unbalanced (RCA); one per channel.
Unbalanced (RCA); one stereo pair for Bus input.
27 kOhms (unbalanced).
Trigger Input: 5 - 12 V (AC or DC); <10 mA input current required.
Trigger Output: 12 VDC; can drive any load up to 120 mA.
115 VAC or 230 VAC @ 50 / 60 Hz (automatically detected).
Front Panel Controls and Indicators
Standby; push button (halo ring changes color to indicate Standby or On).
Status LEDs; one per channel; blue.
Status LEDs change to flashing red to indicate a fault condition.
Rear Panel Controls
AC Power Switch; rocker switch (switches AC main power).
Power Mode; slide switch; selects Always On, Trigger, or Auto-On Mode.
Bus Switch; slide switch; (4) 1 per Zone; selects either the Bus or individual input for the Zone.
Bridge Switch; selects either individual channel or bridged amplifier operation.
Status LEDs switch; disables front panel Status LEDs.
The BasX A-800 is protected against excessive operating temperature, shorted speaker connections, ground faults, and other common fault conditions.
17” wide x 4” high x 16” deep (unboxed; including feet)
17” wide x 3-1/2” high x 16” deep (unboxed; without feet)
21-1/2” wide x 8” high x 21-1/4” deep (boxed).
26 lbs (net)
32.4 lbs (boxed)